Starting a dance class can be an exciting venture! Here’s a basic list of things you might need for your first dance class:
- Comfortable Clothing: Wear something flexible and comfortable that allows you to move freely. Cotton leggings or shorts, or sweatpants paired with a t-shirt or tank top are good options. For specific dance styles like ballet, you might need appropriate attire such as a leotard, skirt and tights. Some dance classes for pre-schoolers and younger dancers might encourage free choice, so you can come along in your favourite tutu!
- Proper Footwear: Depending on the dance style, you might need specific shoes. Ballet might require ballet slippers, tap dance requires tap shoes, jazz dance could require jazz shoes, etc. If it’s a general dance class, comfortable sneakers or dance sneakers may be suitable for beginners.
- Water Bottle: Staying hydrated during a dance class is crucial. Bring a water bottle to keep yourself hydrated throughout the session.
- Towel: It’s common to sweat during dance classes, so having a small towel handy can be helpful.
- Hair ties and Accessories: If you have long hair, bring hair ties or clips to keep your hair out of your face and secure during movement.
- Positive Attitude: Come with an open mind and a willingness to learn. Be prepared to follow instructions and have fun!
- Notebook and Pen: It might be beneficial to jot down notes or choreography that your instructor goes over during the class.
Before attending your first class, it might be helpful to contact the dance studio or instructor to ask if there are any specific requirements or recommendations for attire or accessories based on the style of dance you’ll be learning. This will ensure you’re well-prepared for the class and can focus on enjoying the experience! If you need to enroll into your class before term starts, you will be given a list or email detailing what you should wear and bring to your first class.